Calif. medical pot shops lose one in court | News
SACRAMENTO, CA - A Sacramento medical marijuana shop was dealt a blow in court Tuesday when a Sacramento federal judge granted a federal government motion to dismiss the dispensary's request for a permanent injunction.
The Sacramento Nonprofit Collective known as El Camino Wellness Center and medical marijuana patient Ryan Landers sought to halt the United States government from enforcing the federal Controlled Substances Act.
Last fall, U.S. attorneys and federal agents began cracking down on medical marijuana dispensaries in California.
Federal law does not recognize any legal use of marijuana. that conflicts with California's 1996 Compassionate Use Act which removed criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana by patients who have a written or oral recommendation from their doctor that he or she would benefit from medical marijuana.
Federal prosecutors allege the pot dispensaries are fronts for dealing drugs.
Upcoming Events near East Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Handmade Holiday Decor: DIY Faux Brass Himmeli Orb
- Help Elder Neighbors Connect to the Community
- East Sacramento Santa Adventure and Holiday Boutique—This will be a great event!
- Tips For Responding to the Draft Environmental Impact Report for McKinley Village
- Updates—41st and I Street Construction Projects